Newsletter for July 16, 2021
As cases are rising in all 50 states, the Delta variant is making up more than 50% of new cases, vaccination rates have not yet reached herd immunity, questions are being asked about the % of efficacy of the vaccines against variants and our young children are not yet vaccinated, we are not requiring, but encouraging people to wear masks on Sundays. There are disposable masks at the back of the sanctuary if you’d like to take one when you arrive at the church.
I will be on vacation Monday July 19th through Monday July 26th. I will be out of town most of that time. Pastor Sheri will be preaching on Sunday July 25th. If you have need of pastoral care, please contact Pastor Sheri, Marie Lancaster or Brenda Staggs. Thank you for the time to rest, renew and visit family.
A Sunday morning prayer group will begin Sunday August 1st at 9:30 am in the women’s Sunday school room. The prayer time will begin with a devotional reading rooted in Scripture with time for sharing joys and concerns. This is a great opportunity to develop new friendships or renew old friendships. This is not a gender-specific group. This is a time for intergenerational faith formation. The time will not be led by any specific person – you may sign up to lead as part of a rotation of shared leadership.
Your partner in Christ,
Men’s Spiritual Life Retreat August 13-15, 2021 St. Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, Ind.
Claiming Sacred Spaces with Rev. Bruce Barkhauer, Retreat Leader
In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic changed everyone’s plans, including our plans for the Men’s Spiritual Life Retreat. It was looking iffy for 2021 because we didn’t think St. Meinrad would open to guests in time to host us, but they are opening August 1, so the Men’s Spiritual Life Retreat with Bruce Barkhauer as retreat leader is on!
** for all Zoom meetings,contact the office for participation info). **
TUESDAY BIBLE STUDY **please note the new link and ID**
Please join us for Bible study on Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 pm. There is an optional prayer time at 1:45p.
The next Elder’s Meeting will be Tuesday, July 27th at 7:00p.
LEADERSHIP COUNCIL MEETING
The next Leadership Council Meeting will be Sunday, Jul 18, 2021 07:00p
FEM FELLOWSHIP RETREAT PLANNING MEETING
The first Fem Fellowship Retreat planning meeting will be on Thursday, July 29th at 6:00p
2021 Disciples Virtual Gathering
You are invited to participate in the 2021 Disciples Virtual Gathering, on Saturday, August 7, 2021! We
will gather for lectures, worship, workshops and more! Click here to register! https://disciplesconnect2021.vfairs.com/
If you plan on participating in this virtual gathering and want to do it as a group at church, please let Pastor Tracy know so she can get something together! Please let her know by July August, 4th please 🙂
Backpacks event to benefit K-12 Covington students!
Northern Kentucky Harvest has 1,008 backpacks containing paper, pens and pencils, and other supplies to give out to K-12 students – it just needs to know who to give them to.
The organization is asking parents to register by the end of the month via email, text, or phone call for a distribution event Aug. 14-15.
How it works
- To register, parents should send information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, text at (859) 750-2813, or a phone call to the same number.
- The deadline to register is 5 p.m. July 31.
- The information needed is the parent or guardian’s name, the city they live in, email address and phone number, as well as the student’s name, the school they will attend during the 2021-22 school year, and the grade they will be in (since supplies differ by grade level). Students need to go to school in Kenton, Boone, or Campbell counties.
- The week of Aug. 9, parents/guardians will receive a text or email with a pickup time.
- On Aug. 14 or 15, parents need to come to the parking lot outside Be Concerned: The People’s Pantry at 1100 Pike St., Covington, to pick up the backpacks.
- If more than 1,008 students are registered, “winners” will be chosen by random drawing.
The backpacks also contain a gift certificate for a free kids’ meal from Frisch’s. The event is presented annually by Northern Kentucky Harvest in collaboration with Be Concerned and the Brighton Center. Funding is provided by foundations, churches, and businesses.